[m-dev.] for review: add events and reports to web page.

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Oct 4 21:52:20 AEDT 2000

On 04-Oct-2000, Tyson Dowd <trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> Update the web page with 2 new sections.
>
> Events describe one-off events, such as the ICFP 2000 programming
> competition.
>
> Reports are more sundry items, such as the Mercury meeting minutes.
> This structure should be pretty easy to add new meeting minutes to.
> Sending the review diff for the minutes web page is as good as sending
> the minutes to mercury-developers.
>
> include/functions.inc:
> include/menubar.inc:
> information/Makefile:
> 	Add reports and events to the menubar and build process.
>
> information/events.php3:
> information/events/icfp2000.html:
> information/events/images/mtest7.gml:
> information/events/images/mtest7.jpg:
> 	Add the events section, along with our first event, the ICFP
> 	2000 competition.  Thanks to Peter Ross for most of the text of
> 	this page.
>
> information/reports.php3:
> information/reports/minutes_29_09_00.html:
> news/reportsdb.inc:
> 	Add the reports section along with fjh's minutes for the
> 	meeting.
>
> news/newsdb.inc:
> 	Mention the new sections.

Where's the `reports.inc' file mentioned in reports.php3?

I think that the danger which Peter mentioned of people
thinking work has stopped simply because we stop posting
the minutes of our meetings on the web is a quite real one.
The reports section should have an intro which makes it clear
that this is experimental, might be irregular, might or might not
continue, etc.

Also there's a definite possibility that people looking for Tech
Reports will look in the reports section rather than the papers
section.  Perhaps it should be titled "informal reports"?  Any other
suggestions for a better title?