[m-dev.] [ddw at miscrit.be: mmc vs a_mmc vs mumc]

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Nov 23 21:15:51 AEDT 2000

On 23-Nov-2000, Dominique de Waleffe <ddw at miscrit.be> wrote:
> Regarding process creation, there are already so many processes created by
> all the levels of make and shell that one more or one less wont make much of
> a difference.....

It's not just one more, it's one more per invocation of mmc/mgnuc/etc.
A given invocation of `mmake' may invoke mmc/mgnuc/etc. many times.

Anyway, I don't agree with the attitude that since things are bad
already, it's OK to make them worse.  Currently the number of process
creations is fairly high.  But we may be able to optimize that in the
future.  We should try to avoid doing things that would make that
optimization harder.