[m-dev.] Re: fastcall for the x86

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Nov 17 11:06:26 AEDT 2000

On 17-Nov-2000, Tyson Dowd <trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> I was chatting to Pete on the phone and we got into a discussion of
> using fastcall convention on the x86 in hlc grade.

Funny, I was chatting yesterday with Bart Demoen and we talked about
exactly the same thing!

> gcc has a similar calling convention that can be enabled using the
> regparm(X) attribute.  It might be worth trying this out in hlc.gc
> for non-exported functions.

That won't work, since we take the address of non-exported functions
and pass them to other modules.

But we could do it for all Mercury-generated functions
(and for functions in the Mercury runtime or standard library that
implement builtin unification/compare or Mercury procedures declared
`:- external').