[m-dev.] for review: use bitsets in quantification

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Nov 7 17:37:22 AEDT 2000

On 07-Nov-2000, Peter Schachte <schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> I agree with most of what Fergus wrote, but I disagree with this part:
>
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 03:08:21PM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
>
> > 3.  Although the class is named `enum', the invariants given are not
> > sufficient for you to actually enumerate the values of the type (or at
> > least not with reasonable efficiency).  For example, to get the next
> > value after X in the enumeration sequence, you could try
> > `from_int(to_int(X) + 1)'.  But there is no guarantee that this call
> > to `from_int' will succeed.  So I think you should add another invariant:
> >
> > 	all [Int] ((enum_first =< Int, Int =< enum_last) =>
> > 		some [X] X = from_int(Int)).
>
> As you point out later, this isn't required for sparse_bitset.  I think
> there are good reasons for making this class as simple as possible.  I would
> suggest a subclass of enum (maybe called `dense_enum') should have this
> constraint, and then should have the succ and pred methods etc.  This will
> often be useful, but I see no reason to exclude types for which this is not
> the case from using the sparse_set representation.

I agree with the idea here, but I'd argue about the naming: I think
the name `enum' should be reserved for something that you can
efficiently enumerate, and there should be another name
(`convertable_to_int'?) for something that you can convert to/from
int.