[m-dev.] preliminary MLDS performance comparisons

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Nov 24 19:33:55 AEDT 2000

On 24-Nov-2000, Zoltan Somogyi <zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> On 24-Nov-2000, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > OK, I tried a slightly different benchmark, this time compiling
> > table_gen.m with mmc -O3 -C
>
> Thanks Fergus.
>
> > Again for each trial I ran the benchmark eight times
> > and took the average of the middle four results.
>
> Can you please add the scripts you used to do this to the tools directory,

They were just tiny scripts that I ran on the command line,
e.g.

	for file in ../mc.*; do \
		f=`basename $file`; echo $f; \
		MERCURY_COMPILER=$file ttime 8 mmc -C -O3 -I \
		../compiler --use-subdirs -C table_gen.m >& test3.times2.$f; \
	done

and

	for file in test*; do \
		sum=`sort $file | tail +2 | head -4 | sum_column 1`; \
		avg=`echo $sum / 4 | bc -l`; echo "$avg $file"; \
	done | sort -n

They make use of a couple of other tiny scripts of mine
(ttime and sum_column).

But I can document these and put them in tools if you really think its
worthwhile.

> or integrate them into tools/speed_summary?

tools/speed_summary is undocumented and I'm not how it is supposed to
be used.