[m-dev.] Suggestion: change quotation rule

Ralph Becket rbeck at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 23 05:54:52 AEDT 2000

> From: Fergus Henderson [mailto:fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU]
>
> Given that the current language already supports the use of backquotes
> with graphic-tokens, which probably covers 80% of the cases for which
> you'd want this, I don't see any compelling reason to try to address
> the above complications.

Fairy'nuff.  Given your list

> Only if the operator is not a name or a graphic-token, i.e.
> a sequence composed of the following characters
>
> 	# $ & * + - . / : < = > ? @ ^ ~ \
>
> do you need to put the operator in quotes.

where I presume you mean pure sequences of these characters *do not*
need 'quoting', then the operator that was causing me grief must have
been :<|>.

Personally, I use `backquoting` where it makes code easier to read,
which, IMHO, only works for operators with short names.  Which rules
out module qualified names - so I'd be happy to see backquoting
also imply forward quoting with the usual rules for forward quoting.
But it's a small thing; it just caught me by surprise.

Cheers,

Ralph

Ralph Becket      |      MSR Cambridge      |      rbeck at microsoft.com