[m-dev.] for review: compile in hlc.gc using MSVC

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sat Jun 10 09:16:22 AEST 2000

On 07-Jun-2000, Peter Ross <petdr at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> This bootchecks in the grade hlc.gc using gcc under Linux.
> I will check this in sometime tomorrow, unless I hear any major
> objections.
>
> scripts/Mmake.rules:
>     Use /Fo instead of -o to generate .o files if compiling with MSVC.

Pete, this change broke things for dec-alpha-osf3.2
(murlibobo).  From the nightly test logs:

	MERCURY_ALL_C_INCL_DIRS=" -I../runtime -I../boehm_gc -I../boehm_gc/include " ../scripts/mgnuc
		--grade asm_fast.gc    --no-ansi    -g     -c mercury_accurate_gc.c -omercury_accurate_gc.o
	mips-tfile:mercury_accurate_gc.o: No such file or directory
	gmake[1]: *** [mercury_accurate_gc.o] Error 1

Could you please fix it?

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but my first guess is that it may be that
you need to use "-o foo.o" rather than "-ofoo.o".

(Note that getting trailing spaces in a Mmakefile is a little
tricky; you may need to use something like

	empty=
	OBJFILE_OPT=@OBJFILE_OPT@$(empty)

in Mmake.vars.in to prevent GNU Make from stripping the trailing space
in OBJFILE_OPT.)