[m-dev.] Mercury front ends

Robert Ernst Johann JESCHOFNIK rejj at cat.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Jan 25 03:46:29 AEDT 2000

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Michael Day wrote:

> > I think you missed my point. I wasn't saying that we should make it soley
> > accept LaTeX documents. I was saying that we should add the ability to use
> > literate source files - then you can use *whatever you want* since in a
> > literace source file you have to mark the -code-, not the comments.
>
> That does not permit XML or any other form of markup of the code, it
> merely allows arbitrary comments, which are possible now anyway. For a C++
> example, replace this:

Aaah, I see what you are getting at now.

[..]

> It may look like a horrendous mess,

Yes

> So if I view the code with my preferences set to K&R style indentation and
> 8-space tabs, that's what I get. If I prefer C++ style indentation and
> 4-space no-tabs, no problem.

Surely this can be done without the need for XML.. just load up vim and do
:set tabstop=8
or
:set tabstop=4
:set et

and you are set.

(I'm scaring myself... I'm starting to use vim now that I have this dodgy
b&w terminal... heh)

> No one is locked into using XML, it would merely be an additional
> possibility. Out of all the programmers in the world, barely any of them
> know or like logic programming. Yet that is hardly reason to cease Mercury
> development :)

Fair enough.
It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't use it.

rob