[m-dev.] for review: fix inst performance problem

Thomas Conway conway at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Feb 22 08:13:29 AEDT 2000

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 02:32:56AM EST, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> If this one passes bootcheck, then I'll go ahead and commit it.
> I'll also commit it on the version-0_9_x branch.
>
> With a bit of luck, this fix might go at least some of the way
> towards addressing the performance problems on the alias
> branch.  It would be nice if someone who has been working
> on that branch would merge this change in and see how
> it affects the reported performance problems on the alias
> branch.
>
> ----------
>
> Estimated hours taken: 6
>
> Fix a performance problem reported by Tom Conway,
> that caused the compiler to take forever when compiling
> very simple test cases making use of user-defined insts.

Should we put something in the tests for this? It shouldn't
be too hard to test, since the performance problem was exponential.

Apart from that, it looks great.

Thanks Fergus.

Thomas
--
 Thomas Conway )O+     Every sword has two edges.
     Mercurian            <conway at cs.mu.oz.au>