[m-dev.] efficiency situation with file offset tracking

Robert_William HUTTON rwh at ecr.mu.oz.au
Fri Feb 11 14:17:41 AEDT 2000

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Thomas Conway wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 11:26:09AM EST, Robert_William HUTTON wrote:
> > Well, after much stuffing around and many recompilations due to
> > home/mercury0 being full, I have managed to profile cat.m with and without
> > file offset tracking in io.m.  The top parts of the profiles follow.
>
> What difference does it make to the running time of the compiler?
> For example if I use the current version, how long does it take
> to compile  typecheck.m (for example), and how long with file offsets?
> Or even better, how long does it take to build a complete mercury
> compiler? That includes making the .int (et al) files, etc.

I did a make realclean and then a make on hg while no-one else was on.

Without the change to io.m:
start time
Fri Feb 11 11:31:07 EST 2000
end time
Fri Feb 11 12:35:04 EST 2000

So that's 1:04.

With the change to io.m:
start time
Fri Feb 11 12:56:58 EST 2000
end time
Fri Feb 11 13:58:56 EST 2000

So that's 1:02.

Allowing for uncertainties in the running time, I think this shows that
the difference is neglegable.

--
Robert Hutton <rwh at ecr.mu.oz.au>     | War doesn't demonstrate who's
WWW: <http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~rwh>  | right... just who's left.