[m-dev.] EDCGs and Higher Order Programming

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Feb 2 13:45:24 AEDT 2000

On 31-Jan-2000, David Jeffery <dgj at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> This would be to be an *extremely* advanced editing environment. We are not
> talking about a simple syntactic transformation as we are with DCGs; the EDCG
> transformation requires resolving overloading for one thing.

It's "extremely advanced" compared to the kinds of systems we are used to
working with.  In the larger scale I'd like to think of it as merely
"advanced".

Browsing code of this nature would be relatively easy, all you need is
an annotated HLDS-like dump.  Real-time editing showing this kind of
information would be a little harder, but Visual Studio seems to do this kind
of analysis for C++ programs (it can on the spot tell you what the
possible types are of the parameters of the method you are about to
call as a tooltip).  I'd give good odds that most Smalltalk environments
have this kind of support too.

It would certainly be a significant project, however.

--
The quantum sort:
	while (!sorted) { do_nothing(); }