[m-dev.] record syntax

schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Dec 8 00:09:15 AEDT 2000

On  7 Dec, Ralph Becket wrote:
> I don't actually find the need to write
>
> :- func field_a(T) = foo.	:- func 'field_a:='(T, foo) = T.
>
> to be that big a deal.  It certainly wouldn't be hard to write a small
> shell script (or Emacs function, if you're that way inclined) to knock
> out the boilerplate for you.

If you start feeling the need to write code to generate boilerplate for
you, that's a hint that you need a better abstraction.  The problem
with boilerplate isn't just that it's boring and a waste of time to
write, but that it's boring and a waste of time to *read*, it hides the
interesting, important code, and makes maintenance boring, time
consuming, and more error prone.

--
Peter Schachte                     The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its
mailto:schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        teaching should, therefore, be regarded