[m-dev.] for review: resolving ambiguity in the mdb "break" c ommand

Zoltan Somogyi zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Aug 25 19:49:24 AEST 2000

On 25-Aug-2000, Ralph Becket <rbeck at microsoft.com> wrote:
> I couldn't see it in the diff, but would the following pair of lines
> work in the .mdbrc
>
> break foo
> *
>
> or would I have to explicitly list each procedure of foo?

They work fine in an .mdbrc file, as long as "foo" matches more than one
procedure, because only then do you get the question to which "*" is the
answer. If you don't get the question, the * will be taken as the next
command, and as such will generate an error message.

I could add an option to the "break" command, which tells it not to ask
which you procedure you want for ambiguous specifications, and instead
assumes the answer is "*". Given that -a is already taken (it means all
events in the procedure, as opposed to e.g. just interface events), -A
(for All procedures) may be the next best thing. Then you could put
"break -A foo" into your .mdbrc, and have it work regardless of whether
foo is ambiguous or not.

Zoltan.