[m-dev.] for review: use browser to print DD output

Mark Anthony BROWN dougl at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Aug 17 17:58:50 AEST 2000

Zoltan Somogyi writes:
> On 17-Aug-2000, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > > +my_append
> > > +	[1, 2, 3]
> > > +	[7, 8, 9]
> > > +	[1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9]
> >
> > I think it would be nicer if that was printed with the
> > proper parentheses and commas:
> >
> > my_append(
> > 	[1, 2, 3],
> > 	[7, 8, 9],
> > 	[1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9]
> > )
>
> Actually, I think Mark's original output format is better: it uses limited
> screen real estate for data, not punctuation, and does not lose any meaningful
> information. So Mark, if you adopt Fergus's suggestion, make it optional.

Both of these formats have advantages.  But it's easier to judge which is
better after actually using it, so I will defer any further decisions on
this for the moment, and commit the change as is.

BTW, I used the declarative debugger to debug my last few changes; this
has been very helpful in (amongst other things) evaluating the design.
At least one design change is in the pipeline as a result of this evaluation
process---more on this later.

Cheers,
Mark.