[m-dev.] for review: string__fmt

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Aug 9 16:53:15 AEST 2000

On 09-Aug-2000, Simon Taylor <stayl at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> Peter Ross wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 05:26:59PM +1000, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> > > Why have two seperate procedures `string__append_list' and
> > > `string__fast_append_list'?  Why not just make the ordinary
> > > `string__append_list' fast?
> > >
> > Because string__append_list has two modes and I didn't want to implement
> > the second mode in C.  Any suggestions on how to avoid this problem?
>
> I'd suggest removing the second mode. It generates an infinite number
> of solutions for any input string, so any code which uses it is probably
> wrong.

Hmm, good point!  I'm not sure why I added the reverse mode of
`string__append_list' in the first place.  In any case, doing so was
clearly a mistake.  I think it is quite safe to remove this mode
without worrying about backwards compatibility, since as Simon says
any code which uses it is probably wrong.