[m-dev.] for review: --no-special-preds

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Apr 4 16:22:37 AEST 2000

On 03-Apr-2000, Zoltan Somogyi <zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> On 02-Apr-2000, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > > However, the problem can in any case be avoided reasonably simply, by adding
> > > three new modes (out,ui,in), (out,in,ui) and (out,ui,ui) for the comparison
> > > preds of the builtin types
> >
> > That would be great if it works, but doing that may not be trivial,
> > since I think the compiler currently doesn't support `ui' modes.
>
> Then why does the generic compare/3 have those exact four modes?

The generic compare/3 has those modes because, according to the
log message for the change which added them, they are needed for
(the unique modes of) tree234__set and bintree__set.

But I think `ui' modes currently only works for things which are defined
using hand-coded low-level C code, not for things defined in Mercury or using
`pragma c_code'.