[m-dev.] for review: use type_ctor_rep for unify, index and compare

Warwick Harvey wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au
Thu Sep 30 18:21:35 AEST 1999

> > May I enquire on which machine you ran the benchmarks?
>
> On my PC, ender; it is a 450 MHz PII. Why?

Mainly just curious.  It seems to me that with things like this the
trade-off point could be different for different architectures, and I
wondered if there was one in particular you used to decide what was a
worthwhile and what wasn't.

I'm also currently beating my head against a wall trying to figure out why
our HAL benchmarks are running slower now than they were a few months ago.
It could be any number of things, but currently I suspect that I just
compiled the Mercury code and/or libraries with a different set of flags
then than I have now (e.g. turned some optimisations that I didn't think I
had or something).

Unfortunately, while I have the Mercury code generated by HAL from back
then, I don't have the C code that Mercury generated (we used a couple of
different grades, with "cleans" in between the builds), so I'll probably
never find out just what is different.  Oh well.

Warwick