[m-dev.] choice point deforestation

Zoltan Somogyi zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Sep 22 12:21:08 AEST 1999

> By applying a deforestation-like "conjunctive partial deduction"
> transformation to the conjunction `mymember(X, Data), test(X)',
> we can push the pruning further in, to the point where we avoid
> creating the choice points at all.

This is the constraint propagation transformation, for which an algorithm
was given in the 1989 North American Conference on Logic Programming,
by David Kemp, Rao and some other people from here. Actually, the
first implementation for Mercury was by Andrew Bromage, but it was too
grotty to be incorporated into the main development trunk.

Zoltan.