[m-dev.] Libraries Idea

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Sep 17 18:21:43 AEST 1999

On 16-Sep-1999, Ralph Becket <rbeck at microsoft.com> wrote:
> I've had an idea about how mmake etc. might simplify the installation
> and use of libraries.  Basically, the idea is to optionally make
> library module compilation lazy.  The programmer would supply mmake
> with a search path where various source and object files etc. could be
> found.  If a required object (or whatever) file in one of these
> directories is found to be out of date then the compiler would be
> invoked *in that directory*.  Such a scheme would allow for on-demand
> compilation of the standard library in the various grades rather than
> requiring the marathon installfest that is the case at present.  It
> would also greatly ease the process of getting the compiler to
> recognise new libraries, and work in multiple grades.

I think Richard O'Keefe suggested something along those lines in mail to
mercury-users.  I think this is a fine idea, so long as it is not
the default.

Warwick has some changes to improve the support for building and installing
ibraries in multiple grades.  However, they have not yet been committed.
Warwick, what's the current status of those changes?