[m-dev.] for review: new ports for the declarative debugger

Zoltan Somogyi zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Sep 14 13:05:43 AEST 1999

> Should these ports should be documented in the debugging chapter of the
> Mercury user's guide?  I think they probably should, since if the user
> compilers with --decl-debug, then they will see those ports.

I will, later; this is meant to be a minimum change to allow Mark to
work on a fix for a problem we found while writing the declarative debugger
paper.

The larger question is whether the compiler should generate these events
even if --trace-decl is not specified, and the larger still question is
whether there should be a --trace-decl option at all. I think that when the
declarative debugger is working properly, which it isn't at the moment,
then every executable compiled with deep tracing and internal events
should enable declarative debugging. This means generating the new events
and reserving the stack slots declarative debugging needs. At the moment,
it needs two, but there is no particular reason why it can't make do with one.

Comments?

> The names "NENT", "NSUC", and "NFAI" are horrible.

I agree. I have replaced them with NEGE, NEGS and NEGF for now, but I would
welcome other proposals.

Zoltan.