[m-dev.] for review: int__xor

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Oct 26 15:14:20 AEST 1999

On 26-Oct-1999, Simon Taylor <stayl at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> > On 26-Oct-1999, David Glen JEFFERY <dgj at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > > How about a ":- pragma obsolete ('^'/2)."?
>
> > I would suggesting adding the pragma, but leaving it
> > commented out and mentioning the reason:
> >
> > 	/***
> > 	XXX this can't be added yet, for bootstrapping reasons
> > 	:- pragma obsolete('^'/2).
> > 	***/
>
> When I commit the record syntax changes any calls to int:'^'/2 will be
> reported as syntax errors, so it's probably better to just remove
> int:'^'/2 unless you want to leave that change until after the release.

I don't think we should make changes that break backwards compatibility
without any prior warning, unless we at least provide a compiler option
for backwards compatibility.  So I would not be happy to include that
change before the release unless it were conditional on a compiler option.

I'm not sure whether it should be included in the release.
At this point it is definitely getting rather late in the
release cycle for adding new features.  It may be better
to wait until just after the next release, then we will have
plenty of time to get some experience with it before the
syntax is set in stone.

Anyway go ahead and commit the change to add `int__xor' ASAP
so that we can bootstrap the changes to library/string.m and
compiler/const_prop.m soon.