[m-dev.] for review: allow io__read for some univs

Mark Anthony BROWN dougl at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Oct 21 13:28:48 AEST 1999

Fergus Henderson writes:

> On 20-Oct-1999, Mark Anthony BROWN <dougl at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > Allow io__read, term__term_to_type, etc, to read in some values of
> > type univ.
> >

> Is there any particular reason why you want it to handle those
> particular cases?

Yes and no.  I wanted it to work for some case(s).  I don't
mind which cases in particular---I chose the ones I did because
they were easy to handle.

The declarative debugger generates a data structure from a running
Mercury program, and passes it to the front end in the browser
directory.  I have a prototype which instead saves this data to a
file.  The front end can then be run as a standalone program, using a
test harness to load in the saved data.  This standalone version can
be debugged by mdb---using this technique the declarative debugger
becomes self-applicable.

Unfortunately, the data structure contains procedure arguments
from the test program which are stored as `univ's, so cannot
currently be read in by the test harness.  The above change allows
this technique to work, so long as the test program only uses types
which are handled by the special cases.

Cheers,
Mark
--
Mark Brown, PhD student            )O+  |  "Another of Fortran's breakthroughs
(m.brown at cs.mu.oz.au)                   |  was the GOTO statement, which was...