[m-dev.] library stuff

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Oct 27 21:34:18 AEST 1999

On 19-Oct-1999, Tomas By <tomas at research.nj.nec.com> wrote:
> I'm sending you some things I've added to the library. It's additions
> to `io.m' and `dir.m' plus a new module `time.m'. Only tested under
> Linux. The procedures `time__asctime' and `time__ctime' doesn't work.
> Maybe you can find out why. ;-)

I suspect it is because they call Mercury `pragma c_code' procedures
which are declared `will_not_call_mercury' but which do in fact
call Mercury code -- they call `my_xcopy/2'.

The time module looks excellent.
It's an interface to the ANSI C time facilities,
and to the POSIX times() function.
If the rest of the Mercury developers don't object,
I plan to add that to the Mercury standard library.

The directory stuff is a bit more problematic, for various
reasons (portability, code duplication with io.m, etc.)
I'm not yet sure what I'll do with that.

> Feel free to use this code or parts of it any way you want.

Thanks!