[m-dev.] new release of Mercury

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Oct 5 23:38:28 AEST 1999

On 05-Oct-1999, Peter Ross <petdr at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> I had the joy of using Mercury 0.8.1 yesterday (here at leuven),
> and the debugger was quite painful to use (ie the browser caused the
> program to abort).
>
> I think that we should release a new version (0.8.2), just because the
> debugger has become more usable.  Most people seem reluctant to use a
> stable release of the day,

... and rightly so.

> so a new minor release would be the best thing.

A new release is a good idea.  I discussed this with Zoltan recently
and I've been planning on a feature freeze soon.

I think too much has changed to call the next version 0.8.2;
it should be 0.9.

One thing that would be nice to do before the release is RTTI support
for existential types.  I guess that is not _essential_, but it seems
a shame to release with existential types in a half-supported state.

File/line numbers in the debugger would be nice too, but I guess they
can wait till after 0.9.