[m-dev.] For review: Simplified installation of user libraries

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Oct 21 00:30:50 AEST 1999

On 20-Oct-1999, Warwick Harvey <wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au> wrote:
> Fergus wrote:
> > > Anyway, here's a diff of the bindist changes.
> >
> > A log message would be nice.
>
> I include below the full log message, in case (like me :-) you're struggling
> to remember what this was all about originally.

Thanks ;-)

That change looks fine now.

> > Hmm, do info_do_mdb and vpath_find need to be installed?
> > They are only used during the source installation, I believe.
>
> The user library install stuff uses vpath_find for installing the `.init',
> `.a' and `.so' files.  It does this because the standard library install
> stuff uses it for the same thing, and I just copied the code.  At this point
> I can't see why it's needed in either context, but I'm probably missing
> something.

`vpath_find' was there to support `configure --srcdir=...'.
Unfortunately, however, I never managed to get `configure --srcdir=...'
to work properly.  So at this point it is not doing anything useful.

> (Another bindist bug: @DL_LIBRARY@ is not being substituted by bindists's
> configure script, so building shared libraries --- at least on my Linux box
> --- barfs.)

Thanks again for the bug report.