[m-dev.] For review: Simplified installation of user libraries

Warwick Harvey wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au
Mon Oct 4 14:02:24 AEST 1999

I wrote:
> Fergus wrote:
> > Also you need to add mercury_cleanup_install to the definition of
> > $(UTILS) in bindist/Mmakefile and bindist/bindist.Makefile.in.
>
> Fixed.
>
> Assuming it passes a test of the binary distribution stuff, plus a final
> round of library installation tests, I'll commit it.

Well, there was a snag during a test of the bindist stuff.  vpath_find was
missing.  It seems there's a couple of other files missing too (info_to_mdb,
sicstus_conv --- though I daresay you don't care about the latter any more?).

While investigating this, I came up with a couple more questions.  What's
the difference between UTILS and SCRIPT_FILES?  The obvious thing to me
would be that the former refers to files in the util subdirectory (compiled
binaries) whereas the latter refers to files in the scripts subdirectory
(architecture independent).  But there are a number of files from the
scripts subdirectory mentioned in the UTILS variable.  Now, the two are
installed slightly differently: those in UTILS are just copied into place,
while those in INSTALL_SCRIPTS have `chmod +w' run on them (the "normal"
installation process [not bindist] also does a `chmod u+w' on installed
scripts --- but everything from the scripts dir).  Why the difference(s),
and why `+w'?

My guess is UTILS should be for util/* and *SCRIPTS* should be for
scripts/*, and am happy to fix this.  But I don't understand the `+w'.  Is
it meant to be `+x'?  Or am I missing something here?

Warwick