[m-dev.] Graphical debugger for Mercury

Erwan Jahier Erwan.Jahier at irisa.fr
Mon Mar 15 22:08:13 AEDT 1999

On 15-Mar-1999, Warwick Harvey <wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au> wrote:
| Hi folks,
| He's had some experience with mdb (for a summer project he wrote a program
| which parsed the trace output of mdb and displayed it in a simple GUI), but
| I'm looking for more things to point him at to get him up to speed.  So far
| I've pointed him at the recent interactive query support stuff (what's
| already in, and what he can find in the recent archives of this list), and
| the term browser stuff.
|
| One thing that came up at the meeting today was the external debugger
| interface.  What's the status of this?

I would prefer that nobody touchs it ;-)

| Is it stable enough for him to
| consider using it for his debugger (rather than interacting with mdb)?

I suppose it depends on what he wants to do with this graphical debugger.

The current Mercury debugger interface has been tailored to my own needs, e.g.
connecting trace analysor Opium-M to the Mercury trace. So, I don't know if
using this interface would be easy.

However, It may be possible that using Opium-M as an interface to your
graphical debugger is a very good idea since you can get the information about
the current state of the execution in a very flexible way. If you chose that
way to go, I would be very happy to help you.

Also, Could you please tell more about the kind of features you plan to implement
with your graphical debugger?

--
R1.