Graphical debugger for Mercury

Warwick Harvey wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au
Mon Mar 15 18:18:47 AEDT 1999

Hi folks,

We have an honours student here (Greg Denehy, gdenehy at cs.monash.edu.au) who
(we plan) will be working on a graphical debugger for Mercury.  (Why
Mercury?  Because HAL isn't ready...  ;-).

He's had some experience with mdb (for a summer project he wrote a program
which parsed the trace output of mdb and displayed it in a simple GUI), but
I'm looking for more things to point him at to get him up to speed.  So far
I've pointed him at the recent interactive query support stuff (what's
already in, and what he can find in the recent archives of this list), and
the term browser stuff.

One thing that came up at the meeting today was the external debugger
interface.  What's the status of this?  Is it stable enough for him to
consider using it for his debugger (rather than interacting with mdb)?

Is there anything else he or I should be aware of?  E.g. was any progress
made on user-controlled printing of terms?

At some stage we'll probably want to organise a meeting with some of the
Mercury folks to discuss plans, ask questions, etc., but right now it's a
case of learn what has been done, is being done, or will be done that might
be useful for his work.

Thanks for any help,

Warwick