[m-dev.] for review: ignore clauses for builtins

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Mar 12 18:41:55 AEDT 1999

On 12-Mar-1999, Simon Taylor <stayl at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> > > compiler/make_hlds.m:
> > > 	Ignore (with a warning) clauses for builtins.
> > > 	This will make it easier to bootstrap a future change
> > > 	to add checking for the integer shift operations.
>
> Actually it might be better if this doesn't cause an error if
> --halt-at-warn is set, since that would require changing the
> test scripts and everyone's Mmakefiles until the changes to the
> builtins are installed.

I don't like this change, since it makes the documentation of
`--halt-at-warn' wrong.

If you need to make this change temporarily for pragmatic reasons,
that would be OK I suppose, but it should be marked with XXXs,
and you should remember to change it back afterwards.

An alternative would be to just temporarily comment out the use of
`--halt-at-warn' in Mmake.common.in.
I don't think the test scripts use --halt-at-warn;
I believe the only place it occurs is in Mmake.common.in.

I guess it doesn't matter too much whether you modify make_hlds.m
or Mmake.common.in, but either way, I think it should be temporary.