[m-dev.] for review: remove Prolog support

Peter Schachte schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Mar 15 15:21:08 AEDT 1999

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 02:58:23PM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> Yes.  The diff I posted yesterday included the following addition to
> the NEWS file:
>
> +  (Normally we would try to warn if any feature is to be removed at least
> +  one release in advance.  However, in this case a simple work-around is
> +  possible: in the unlikely event that anyone happened to have any makefiles
> +  or scripts that depended on this support, they can install the latest
> +  Mercury distribution and still continue to use the Prolog support from
> +  Mercury 0.8, just by including the `bin' directories for both versions
> +  in their PATH, with the more recent one first, of course.)
>
> Do you think that is sufficient explanation?

I would suggest replacing the first sentence with:

	Normally we would warn at least one release in advance if any
	feature is to be removed.

Also, I think it would be a good idea to put in a sentence stating why
you've chosen not to follow that policy.  The existence of a
workaround isn't really a reason, it just mitigates the inconvenience.

--
Peter Schachte                     We hang the petty thieves and appoint the
mailto:schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        great ones to public office.