[m-dev.] for review: remove Prolog support

Peter Schachte schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Mar 15 12:45:14 AEDT 1999

On Sat, Mar 13, 1999 at 01:34:07PM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> On 11-Mar-1999, Peter Schachte <schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > I don't have any objection, however I think it's good form in such
> > things to warn ahead of time that support will be removed.
>
> I think that that is a good general policy.
>
> However, in this particular case, I think it is best to just remove
> the feature now.

Those are good technical arguments.  However, if one views Mercury
users as "customers," I think one must be careful about the mental
model they develop of how the Mercury system is evolving.  If you're
going to just yank support (which I agree is technically a sound
idea), I think you should include a message reaffirming the usual
policy of warning before removing things and explain why you have not
followed that policy this time.

--
Peter Schachte                     We hang the petty thieves and appoint the
mailto:schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        great ones to public office.