[m-dev.] for review: remove Prolog support

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sun Mar 14 15:38:23 AEDT 1999

On 11-Mar-1999, Zoltan Somogyi <zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> > compiler/options.m:
> > compiler/handle_options.m:
> > compiler/globals.m:
> > 	Delete code for handling the options `--generate-prolog',
> > 	`--prolog-dialect', and `--heap-space' (which was used
> > 	for NU-Prolog only).
>
> The change to delete --generate-prolog and --prolog-dialect should be undone.
> They are not for executing Mercury programs directly with Prolog; they are
> (or will be) for translating Mercury programs, including those using functions
> etc, to Prolog. This may not be complete, but there removing it would be
> counter-productive.

Hmmm.  The same applies, to some degree, to scripts/m{s,n}{c,l,p}.in,
and to library/*.nu.nl, and to the Mmakefile rules for building
and installing them, because those files would be useful if/when
we ever write code for translating Mercury programs to Prolog.
Should they be retained as well?

I suppose we can delete them for now and add them back again later
without too much difficulty, whereas deleting the code to implement
`--generate-prolog' and `--prolog-dialect' and then adding it back
again later would be very likely to lead to cvs conflicts.
(Merging the changes to the Mmakefile rules back in might lead to
some conflicts, but they would probably be fairly easy to solve.)