[m-dev.] for review: Aditi updates[0]

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Jun 7 13:40:59 AEST 1999

On 05-Jun-1999, Simon Taylor <stayl at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> compiler/hlds_data.m:
> 	Add a type `lambda_eval_method', which describes how a closure
> 	is to be executed. The alternatives are normal Mercury execution,

That sentence is unfinished.

> compiler/hlds_goal.m:
> 	Merge `higher_order_call' and `class_method_call' into a single
> 	`generic_call' goal type. This also has alternatives for the
> 	various Aditi builtins for which type declarations can't
> 	be written.
>
> 	Remove the argument types field from higher-order/class method calls.
> 	It wasn't used often, and wasn't updated by optimizations
> 	such as inlining.

It would be worth documenting here how the argument types can be obtained
for those goals.

> compiler/hlds_pred.m:
..
> 	Remove `aditi_inserface' from type `marker'. Interfacing to
> 	Aditi predicates is now handled by `generic_call' hlds_goals.

s/inserface/interface/

> 	Add a field to type `proc_info' to describe which Aditi code fragment.
> 	is to be used to evaluate an `aditi_top_down' procedure.

s/fragment./fragment/

> compiler/passes_aux.m:
> 	Add a version of process_all_nonimported_nonaditi_procs
> 	which takes and returns a piece of user data. This will
> 	be used in the pass to perform optimization of updates.

Perhaps that bit should be committed separately?

Also, I think there were a lot of modules which were modified by your change
which were not mentioned in the log message, e.g. base_type_layout.m.
Probably they were modules which only needed trivial changes.  But they
should still be mentioned, even if only as "compiler/*.m".
Apart from that, I think the log message looks good.  But I haven't
looked at the rest of the diff yet ;-)