[m-dev.] proposal regarding bootstrapping

Warwick Harvey wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au
Fri Jun 11 11:59:43 AEST 1999

Fergus wrote:
> So, in future, I suggest that whenever anyone makes a change which prevents
> bootstrapping with a previous version of the compiler, they should add a
> cvs tag to all the files in the relevant directories before commiting,
> and mention this tag in the log message.
>
> Is everyone happy with this suggestion?

Yes please!!!  I'd be absolutely thrilled to have this.

The bootstrapping problem has troubled me for a while, yet somehow I never
saw this obvious solution...  :-)

I had put on my TODO list to set up a nightly update/build/install mirroring
what is done at Melbourne to reduce the problem, but the tags would make
updates of branches so much easier as well.

(For the record, I currently have about 7 or 8 different installations of
Mercury from three different branches of the tree, and right now
bootstrapping problems are a nightmare.  It is of course exacerbated by an
apparent incompatibility between glibc 2.0.7 and 2.1.1 which means I don't
appear to be able to use versions of the compiler built on the Red Hat 5.2
machine on the Red Hat 6.0 machine.  It looks like I'm going to have to
build my own rotds to get some of the "older" variants running under RH6.)

Warwick