[m-dev.] proposal regarding bootstrapping

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Jun 11 04:30:28 AEST 1999

On 02-Jun-1999, Tyson Dowd <trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> This one needs to be committed soon.  Munta hasn't bootstrapped this
> yet -- it will have to be done by hand (sorry about that).

What I ended up doing was not quite what you suggest
(bootstrapping it by hand by installing from the latest ROTD tar file).
Instead, I did a `cvs update -r<version number>' on the relevant
files in /home/mercury/public/test_dirs/{munta,taifun}/mercury,
to ensure that the would get the old versions of these files.
Then I waited until the automatic nightly/weekly tests had installed
a new copy of the compiler on those machines, and finally I did
a `cvs update -A' to remove the cvs sticky tags.

This seems to be a bit easier than installing things by hand.
It would have been even easier if I could have just used a cvs
tag rather than having to figure the exact version numbers of the
files involved.

So, in future, I suggest that whenever anyone makes a change which prevents
bootstrapping with a previous version of the compiler, they should add a
cvs tag to all the files in the relevant directories before commiting,
and mention this tag in the log message.

Is everyone happy with this suggestion?

(Note: using `cvs -D<date>' doesn't work properly, because it doesn't
handle files which have been removed correctly -- you get a copy of
every file which ever existing in the directory, even including those
which had been removed at the given date.)