[m-dev.] Automatic library dependencies

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sat Jul 24 00:41:21 AEST 1999

On 23-Jul-1999, Warwick Harvey <wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au> wrote:
> I've been trying to get automatic dependencies on libraries working, as per
> Fergus's suggestion in a review of one of my alternate installation dir
> proposals, now that it (seems) practical (with the split `.dv'/`.dep'
> dependency files).  I'd almost got it too, but of course none of this stuff
> is ever that straightforward and I ran into a snag while testing --- I was
> depending on the base name of the library, not the actual file name.  The
> problem is that one does not know whether to depend on the `.a' or the `.so'
> version of the library.  I don't have time to figure out how to solve this
> one (I need to stop mucking around with this stuff and do some HAL
> development) so I plan to orphan this change unless somebody comes up with a
> quick and easy solution.

Apart from the problem with defining ALL_MLLIBS_DEP, your change looks fine.

I suggest that for now you commit this change as is, but commenting out
the definition of ALL_MLLIBS_DEP

> +ALL_MLLIBS_DEP	= $(patsubst -l%,lib%.???,$(ALL_MLLIBS))

and instead defining it as empty.  Even though this change is not quite
complete, it's still useful, because users can define ALL_MLLIBS_DEP
themselves.

Cheers,
	Fergus.