[m-dev.] Re: for review: add parsing/storing of assertions

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Jul 13 12:45:28 AEST 1999

On 13-Jul-1999, Peter Schachte <schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> There's another issue that should be raised:  should there be only one
> flavor of assertion?  I think there are really two different kinds:
> assertions that specify (part of) the semantics of a predicate or
> function, and assertions about their implementation.

I agree, although I would put it slightly differently: we want
both "assertions", that the compiler is allowed to rely on, and
"specifications", that the compiler is not allowed to rely on but is
allowed to check.

(petdr's current set of changes are only adding support for assertions,
not for specifications.)