[m-dev.] Building w/ Cygwin

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Jul 8 15:52:56 AEST 1999

On 07-Jul-1999, Bryce Dooley <thecrow at cyberdude.com> wrote:
> It appears that distribution has no binaries.  They must
> be built.

If by "that distribution", you mean the one at <ftp://ftp.mercury.cs.mu.oz.au/pub/mercury/mercury-0.8.1.pc-windows-cygwin-b20.1.tar.gz>
then what you say is incorrect -- that distribution definitely does
have binaries, as the following command shows:

 |	bash$ lynx -dump ftp://ftp.mercury.cs.mu.oz.au/pub/mercury/mercury-0.8.1.pc-windows-cygwin-b20.1.tar.gz | gunzip | tar -tf - | grep -i exe
 |	mercury-0.8.1.i386-pc-cygwin32/util/mkinit.exe
 |	mercury-0.8.1.i386-pc-cygwin32/util/mdemangle.exe

(The other binaries, e.g. mercury_compile.exe, are there too --
they're just packed into a nested tar archive lib.tar.gz.)

However, you still need to run `configure', even for the binary
distribution.  For the binary distribution, `configure' still needs
to do a few things like checking that you have GNU Make installed.

> I've tried building it again but I know I'm not doing something
> right 'cause I'm still getting that stinking can not run config.sub
> error.

Do you have a `/bin/sh.exe'?

Do you have `/bin' in your PATH?

Do you have "." in your PATH?

(I'm not sure whether these last two are necessary anymore, but they used
to be necessary with very early versions of cygwin, e.g. b16.)

If those suggestions don't help, then I suggest you ask on the cygwin
mailing list.