[m-dev.] Re: htdig using too much memory

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Feb 11 04:04:36 AEDT 1999

On 05-Feb-1999, Peter Ross <petdr at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > And does anyone have any ideas as to why htmerge is using so much memory,
> > or how we can avoid this problem?
>
> The problem appears to be in indexing the mailing lists, not the rest of
> the web site.
> I guess the simple fix would be to arrange the htmerge and nightly tests
> to occur at different times.

That may not be enough; hydra only has 384M of virtual memory
(256M real plus 128M swap), so if htmerge is using more than 256M,
the system will thrash, which is undesirable, and if anyone else
happens to be using it for anything else then it may crash.

I did a search for "memory htmerge" on www.htdig.org, and I pulled
up a thread which said that there were some memory leaks.
The ChangeLog for htdig 3.1 includes some entries about
fixing memory leaks in htmerge.  So I will download htdig 3.1
and try using that.

> How long do the nightly tests usually take?

About 8 hours (midnight to 8AM).

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.oz.au>  |  "Binaries may die
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>  |   but source code lives forever"