[m-dev.] opium-m and 0.9

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Dec 21 16:12:46 AEDT 1999

On 20-Dec-1999, Erwan Jahier <Erwan.Jahier at irisa.fr> wrote:
> I noticed (by doing a cvs diff -u -rversion-0_9_x) that the
> changes I have commited on the dev branch last week (the end of the Opium-M/
> Morphine renaming change) were not present in 0_9_x. I suppose it is because I
> committed that change after you created the 0_9_x branch.
>
> So what should I do to merge those changes properly?
> Would a
> 	cvs commit -m "Merge the version-0_9_x and the development branch"
> 	-r version-0_9_x
> 	[from a working directory which is up-to-date with the dev branch]
> look fine to you?

I don't think that will work; I think cvs will not allow that,
because you can't commit stuff onto a branch unless the files
in your working directory were on that branch.

Probably you would need to do something like

	# start off in the 0_9_x branch
	cd extras/morphine
	cvs update -A -rversion-0_9_x

	# tag the current files in the main branch
	date=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`
	cvs rtag trunk-snapshot-$date mercury/extras/morphine

	# merge the changes to extras/morphine on the main
	# branch since 0.9 into the 0_9_x branch
	cvs update -jversion-0_9 -jtrunk-snapshot-$date

	... test the changes ...
	cvs diff
	cvs commit

You might still get some cvs conflicts, because some of those
changes will already have been merged into the version-0_9_x branch.
If that produces a lot of conflicts, it may be easier to
simply merge the changes to each file one at a time:

	# start off in the 0_9_x branch
	cd extras/morphine
	cvs update -A -rversion-0_9_x

	cvs update -j1.3 -j1.4 foo
	cvs update -j1.7 -j1.8 bar

	... test the changes ...
	cvs diff
	cvs commit

Here the revision numbers 1.4, 1.8, etc. could
be determined by looking at the entry in the commitlog file
for the change that you want to merge into the branch.