[m-dev.] Opium-M ---> Morphine

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Dec 15 23:46:51 AEDT 1999

On 15-Dec-1999, Erwan Jahier <Erwan.Jahier at irisa.fr> wrote:
> This diff is quite boring and pass my non-regression tests. So, I don't think
> it needs a review.

I reviewed it anyway -- it looks fine.

> BTW, I'd also like to change the directory name opium_m into morphine.

As it happens I've just done that.

> How can you do that with cvs?

Renaming is one of the things that cvs handles poorly.
When renaming a directory with cvs, there's several different
approaches that you can take.  None of them are perfect.

The one that seems to work best, in my experience, is to
first _copy_ all the repository files from the old directory
to a new directory in the repository.  Then you can use
`cvs remove -rf oldname' to remove the old directory.

This is a hack, because you are directly modifying the repository,
rather than using cvs commands such as `cvs commit'.  But it seems
to be the only way to preserve the revision history of the files in
the directory that you have renamed.

Note that whenever anyone adds a new directory to the repository,
`cvs update' alone will not add that new directory to an already
checked-out working space.  You have to use `cvs checkout' or
`cvs update -d'.  An alternative is to put `update -d' in your
~/.cvsrc file.

> I will commit that if/when the "lawyers" people at IRISA agree with that new
> name (next Friday).

I think I will take your diff and commit it now.
That way I can package up the release ready for "shipping" as soon
as we get word from the lawyers (assuming they say "yes", that is).
Otherwise there will be an extra 24-hour delay.