[m-dev.] Renaming Opium-M

Erwan Jahier Erwan.Jahier at irisa.fr
Tue Dec 14 06:01:26 AEDT 1999

Hi.

From the IRISA "lawyers" point of view, it seems that calling Opium-M "Opium-M"
might causes some problems... )-;

They say it looks like too much to opium. Opium was implemented by Mireille
when she was at ECRC. ECRC does not really exist anymore, but all the softwares
that have been done at ECRC now belong to Siemens, IBM, ... (I do not remember
the other guys).

So it seems a little bit complicated to ask for authorization to use the name
Opium-M; so it turns out that the simplest thing to do might be to rename it...

The problem is now to find a new name. Here are a few names I was thinking of:

o DATASM: a Debugger And Trace Analysis System for Mercury.
o METAS: a MErcury Trace Analysis System
o TRAME: a TRace Analysis system for MErcury.
o AMYTAL: A MercurY Trace Analysis system
	This last one also have the advantage of being a drug (*) and hence it
	makes a link with opium...
o ...

(*) [copied from somewhere on the web] AMOBARBITAL (Amytal®) is a barbiturate
that slows down activity of the brain and nervous system. Amobarbital has both
sedative and hypnotic properties which means it will help you to relax and
sleep. Amobarbital is only for short-term use of two weeks or less for
treatment of insomnia (difficulty sleeping). Amobarbital can help produce
relaxation and drowsiness before surgery. Federal law prohibits the transfer of
amobarbital to any person other than the patient for whom it was prescribed. Do
not share your medicine with anyone else. Generic amobarbital capsules are
available.
:-)

[... 4 hours later ...]

o Another possibility is to call it Morphine since Morphine is obtained from
  opium... and it begins with an M as Mercury.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I find Morphine is a good name
for Opium-M after all.

If one of you has an opinion on that, please let me know.

--
R1.