[m-dev.] for review: improve debugger documentation

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Dec 13 23:22:00 AEDT 1999

On 09-Dec-1999, Erwan Jahier <Erwan.Jahier at irisa.fr> wrote:
> | I've changed that to the following:
> |
> |  | Then start up Emacs, e.g. using the command @samp{emacs},
> |  | and type @kbd{M-x mdb @key{RET}}. Emacs will prompt you for
> |  | the mdb command to invoke
> |  |
> |  | @example
> |  | Run mdb (like this): mdb
> |  | @end example
> |  |
> |  | @noindent
> |  | and you should type in the name of the program that you want to debug
> |  | and any arguments that you want to pass to it:
> |  |
> |  | @example
> |  | Run mdb (like this): mdb ./hello arg1 arg2 ...
> |  | @end example
> |
> | Hopefully that is clearer?
>
> Well, I'm not sure:
> It is ok if you already know emacs, but it might(?) be disturbing otherwise
> IMHO.
>
> What about:
>
> |  | Then start up Emacs, e.g. using the command @samp{emacs},
> |  | and type @kbd{M-x mdb @key{RET}}. Emacs will prompt you for
> |  | the mdb command to invoke and you should type in the name of
> |  | the program that you want to debug and any arguments that
> |  | you want to pass to it:
> |  |
> |  | @example
> |  | Run mdb (like this): [M-x]
> |  |                         mdb [RET]
> |  |                         mdb ./hello arg1 arg2 ... [RET]
> |  | @end example
>
> ?

I don't think that is an improvement.

For one thing, that suggests to the user that they should wait until
they get a "Run mdb (like this): " prompt before typing M-x, which
is not the case.  Also this suggests that the user needs to type in
"mdb" twice, which is also not the case.

I think the current documentation is adequate; probably it is
a bit unclear if read in isolation, but as soon as the user
actually runs Emacs and follows the instructions, I think it
should become clear.  So for now I will leave it as is.

Of course, if you have any further suggestions for improvement,
I'd still appreciate hearing them.