[m-dev.] for review: MLDS back-end: library fixes

Peter Schachte schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Dec 8 12:11:14 AEDT 1999

On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 01:29:27AM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> Perhaps we should enable full determinism inference all the time,
> ignoring the declared determinism during the inference process,
> and then warn if the declared determinism is less general than
> then inferred determinism.  That would have caught this mistake.

I think that's a good idea, providing:

  1)  it doesn't slow compilation too much; and

  2)  there's some mechanims for saying "yes I know I could have
      declared this predicate to be det, but I prefer to make it
      semidet for some reason" which would shut up the warning.
      maybe something like

	:- pred blah(blah, blah) is declared semidet.

      in which case you could start your fixpoint iteration at the
      declared determinism, rather than erroneous.  This would also
      serve as good documentation.

--
Peter Schachte                     Lisa, if you don't like your job you
mailto:schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        don't strike. You just go in every day