[m-dev.] for review: layouts in all closures

Zoltan Somogyi zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Aug 11 18:42:54 AEST 1999

> > +++ handle_options.m	1999/06/01 10:54:19
> >  	% XXX middle_rec doesn't work with --typeinfo-liveness,
> >  	% because --typeinfo-liveness causes the stack to be used
> >  	% in places where middle_rec is not expecting it and has
> >  	% hence not set up a stack frame.
> > -	option_implies(typeinfo_liveness, middle_rec, bool(no)),
> > +	option_implies(typeinfo_liveness_hidden, middle_rec, bool(no)),
>
> Shouldn't that bit be deleted now?
> With your change to middle_rec.m, middle_rec will handle those cases OK,
> won't it?

Middle-rec will handle them correctly, but only by not applying the
optimization. Since the attempt to perform the optimization will never
succeed, it is more efficient not to try. That is why we turn off the flag.

> The name `typeinfo_liveness_hidden' is not very meaningful or mnemonic, IMHO.
> I think "always_use_typeinfo_liveness" or `typeinfo_liveness_always'
> or something along those lines would be much better.

It is not intended to be mnemonic; it is intended to say "don't touch this
unless you know what you are doing."

I followed your other suggestions.

Zoltan.