[m-dev.] Clean targets and optimisation files

Warwick Harvey wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au
Tue Aug 17 17:28:24 AEST 1999

Fergus wrote:
> On 17-Aug-1999, Warwick Harvey <wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au> wrote:
> > Not really.  About the only thing I can think of is that it'd be cleaner
> > (sorry!) if `gradeclean' deleted libraries and executables, whereas you
> > probably (?) don't want that for `clean'.
>
> Emphasis on the "(?)" ;-)

Well, I'm happy to delete them as well, but there's something of a de-facto
standard for `clean' targets that goes something along the lines of "Damn,
the disk's full!  Quick, delete a whole bunch of junk that's just taking up
space right now --- oh but leave any libraries or executables in case I need
them."

I know this doesn't conform to the GNU standards, but there's a lot of clean
targets out there (Mercury's current clean targets among them) that delete
intermediate files while leaving the final targets intact.

I don't much care either way (both have features I like), so if you or
anybody else does care, I'd like to hear about it.

Anyway, I'll proceed with the proposal in my previous mail until I hear
otherwise (though I'll probably wait until after I've finished the split
library patches I'm working on, since they touch the same source code).

Warwick