[m-dev.] for review: MLDS back-end stuff

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sat Aug 7 08:22:00 AEST 1999

On 06-Aug-1999, Warwick Harvey <wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au> wrote:
> Tyson wrote:
> > On 04-Aug-1999, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > > +<ul>
> > > +<li> 1. parsing (source files -> HLDS)
> > > +<li> 2. semantic analysis and error checking (HLDS -> annotated HLDS)
> > > +<li> 3. high-level transformations (annotated HLDS -> annotated HLDS)
> > > +<li> 4. code generation (annotated HLDS -> target representation)
> > > +<li> 5. low-level optimizations
> > > +     (target representation -> target representation)
> > > +<li> 6. output code (target representation -> target code)
> > > +</ul>
> >
> > You should probably use the HTML ordered list <OR> tag if you want this.
>
> (and a similar comment later when the structure is refined for multiple
> back-ends.)
>
> Just out of interest: if one uses automatic numbering here, how does one
> then ensure that it matches up with the later section headings?
>
> E.g.
>
> > > +<h3> a. LLDS BACK-END </h3>
> > >
> > > +<h4> 4a. Code generation. </h4>
>
> Can this be done in HTML?

No, because HTML sucks.

Really this kind of documentation should be written in a real markup
language.

Given these drawbacks, I guess it's fair enough to keep numbering
everything by hand.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't eveyone's cup of fur.