[m-dev.] Other things to do before the release.

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sat Sep 12 15:02:06 AEST 1998

On 10-Sep-1998, Tyson Dowd <trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> - Move the following executables into a lib/bin directory so they
>   are not in the user's path:
> 	mercury_update_interface mint mkfifo_using_mknod mkinit
>   (possibly more or less, this list was taken from 0.7.3).

`mint' should not be moved; it was intended for use by users.
It could be deleted, I suppose.

Anyway, moving all these is an issue of very very very minor importance;
I don't think it is worth worrying about for this release.

> - Possibly support use without -rpath shared libraries (install
>   libraries to /usr/lib and call ldconfig).

What's the advantage of this?

There are certainly disadvantages, e.g. installation would require
root permissions.

> - Consider changing Linux default to using shared libraries.

This is worth considering. If it were easy, it might be worth doing too ;-)
I may be wrong, but I don't think it will be easy.