[m-dev.] for review: new predicates in map.m

Andrew Bromage bromage at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Oct 21 23:41:20 AEST 1998

G'day all.

Peter Schachte wrote:

> You should check out Richard O'Keefe's SAMsort (Smooth Applicative
> Merge) algorithm.  It's a mergesort variation that makes use of
> existing order (and inverse order) in the list.

Simplest way to do that is basically to split the list into ascending
and descending runs, merge each adjacent ascending and reversed-
descending runs, then bottom-up merge the runs that you get.  I saw
some ML code which did this (the people who wrote it claimed this was
the fastest benchmarked one they could find), and it wasn't copyrighted.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage