[m-dev.] for review: new debugger command set (part 1 of 4)

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Oct 15 16:33:51 AEST 1998

On 14-Oct-1998, Zoltan Somogyi <zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> ... assignments such as
>
> 	MR_spied_procs[2] = MR_spied_procs[1];
>
> will cause gcc aborts.

I presume this is only happening on the x86 architecture?

> I added code to configure.in to check whether such
> assignments cause gcc aborts. If yes, mercury_conf.h will now define the
> macro MR_CANNOT_USE_STRUCTURE_ASSIGNMENT, and this will cause
> mercury_array_macros.h to call MR_memcpy instead of executing
> assingments like the one above.

An alternative that we should consider at some stage is trying a more
recent version of gcc such as egcs 1.03 or 1.1.  If one of them fixes
the gcc bugs then we could just require the use of a gcc version >=
egcs 1.03 instead of >= gcc 2.6.3, for x86.  Probably it is a little
bit too early for that now, though -- we should wait until egcs is the
standard C compiler with most x86 Linux distributions.